Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When is the first day of school next year (2019-2020)?  August 19, 2019 

  2. When is the last of day school for 2018-2019?  The last student day is Wednesday, June 6, 2019.

  3. What are the hours of the District Office?  The District Office is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the exception of holidays. Summer hours vary. They are posted on the front door during the summer, and in the NEWS section on the homepage.

  4. How can I obtain a copy of the student calendar?  You may download a copy of the student calendars by clicking on the calendar page link or stopping by the District Office at 4444 Scotts Valley Drive, Suite 5B, Scotts Valley, CA 95066.

  5.  How do I register my child for school?  Please contact the school(s) directly for registration information.  All school contact information is listed under the SCHOOLS tab at the top of each webpage.

  6. When is Kindergarten registration?  You may pick up a registration packet at either Brook Knoll or Vine Hill Elementary school any time after February 1st.

  7. How do I know if a specific residential address is in the Scotts Valley Unified School District?  You can look up a specific street address on the District Street Index. This list is provided by the Santa Cruz County Office of Voter’s Registration. Streets are listed in alphabetical order. If you need clarification as to which elementary school your child would attend, please access this School Locator Link, or you may call Brook Knoll Elementary (831) 423-2454, Vine Hill Elementary (831) 438-1090, or the District Office (831) 438-1820.

  8. When and where are the Board of Trustees meetings?  Board meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of most months. Meetings are held at the City Council Chamber located at 1 Civic Center Drive, Scotts Valley, beginning at 6:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. You can always check the calendar on our Homepage.

  9. Where can I read or obtain a copy of the Board Meeting Agenda and Board Packet?  Board agendas and packets are available for review 72 hours prior to a scheduled meeting in the District Office or you may click on the Board Meeting Agenda link on the Homepage.

  10. How do I find out about employment opportunities with the Scotts Valley Unified School District?  Please visit Edjoin for a listing of open positions.

  11. How do I obtain a work permit?  You may obtain the necessary paperwork needed to begin processing a work permit at the Scotts Valley High School Administration Office during the school year. During the summer months, work permits are processed and issued at the District Office.

  12. How do I transfer out of or into the Scotts Valley Unified School District?  All transfers, whether they be out of or into our District, must begin with the filing of an Interdistrict Transfer form with your district of residence.

  • ​If you are requesting a transfer out of the District, you may download the Interdistrict Transfer Request form or stop by the district office to obtain the form. Once the paperwork has been submitted, it will be reviewed; if approved, it will be signed off and sent to the requested district. It is up to the requested district whether you are accepted or not.

  • If you are requesting a transfer into the District, begin by filling out an Interdistrict Transfer Form with your district of residence. It is up to your current district to determine whether or not they will release your child. 

          PARENT RIGHTS AND DUTIES relating to Interdistrict Attendance Agreement Requests

          As a parent or legal guardian, you have the right to:

  • Request an interdistrict attendance agreement from your district of residence.
  • Receive a written copy of local school board policy relating to interdistrict attendance agreement requests from both the district of residence and the district you desire to attend.
  • Receive a written copy of the Districts' Attendance Agreement, if any, which stipulates the terms and conditions under which the interdistrict attendance shall be permitted or denied.
  • Discuss your situation with your local superintendent or appointed designee.
  • Appeal an adverse decision to the school board denying the permit request, pursuant to that school board's policies, and receive written notice of local board action within a period of time specified by the board policy.
  • Receive notification from the district denying the request or the district of residence, within 30 days of a request for an interdistrict transfer, regarding the process for appeal to the Santa Cruz County Board of Education. You are encouraged to review the governing board policy for further information and any additional rights.