Administration Board of Education Board Policies Educational Services Finance Food Services Human Resources Technology Services Facilities
New Middle School Site Plan Comprehensive SVMS Construction Project SVMS Campus Project CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) Measure A Bond Citizen Oversight Committee Adopted Ed Specifications Requests for Sealed Proposals for the SVMS Campus Modernization Project
Accountability ADA Access Childcare Community Emergency Information Frequently Asked Questions Important Documents News
School Directory Enrollment Forms Students and Parents

Substitute Teacher Information

The Scotts Valley Unified School District utilizes a "web-based" automated substitute teaching service provided by the Santa Cruz County Office of Education called AESOP. To substitute with our District, you must be registered with the SCCOE.


  • To be a Certificated Substitute Teacher you must be in possession of a valid California Teaching Credential or qualify for a Substitute Teaching Permit.


Requirements for the emergency 30 day substitute teaching permit:

  • Possession of a Bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited university.
  • Passage of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). Specific test dates can be obtained from the internet at www.cbest.nesinc.com.
  • Completed application forms for permit. Please pick up application forms at the County Office of Education. Applicable document and fingerprint fees will apply.
  • The Emergency 30 Day Substitute Teaching Permit is valid for one year from the date application is made. A renewal fee is required yearly.


Scotts Valley Unified School District Salary schedule for substitute teachers:

  • $65.00 (partial day)
  • $100.00 (full day)
  • Long-Term: Minimum daily salary (STEP 1, COLUMN 1) payment on Certificated Salary Schedule to begin on the 21st day of a single assignment, retroactive to the first day of that assignment.


Please call 831-466-5753 to schedule an appointment to file your substitute teaching application.


How to be a Classified Substitute Instructional Aide:

  • You may apply on-line at www.edjoin.org.
  • Complete and submit a classified employee application (or an Instructional Aide application, if that’s the job you would like); and indicate Substitute after the title on the application.
  • Attach a resume to your application (if desired)
  • In order to qualify for substitute Instructional Aide employment, applicants are required to possess a high school diploma or GED and pass the Instructional Aide Examination or possess a minimum of 48 semester units at the college level.